Imagine this scenario. Two principals hired in the same district. Both principals arrive with the same qualifications, educational background, marital status, and age. Both principals participate in the same professional development offerings. Each leader is assigned to a similar school context. One principal improves teacher retention and efficacy and boosts the academic outcome of students. The other principal struggles to make impactful and enduring changes.
What made the difference? Why did one principal succeed while the other floundered?
Energy. Yes, this includes what we think about as physical energy. But at MiraNous Institute for Leaders in Education (MILE), we take the concept of energy beyond the physical. We believe energy encompasses our mindset, sense of meaning and purpose, attitude, perceptions, confidence, habits, and behaviors.
Traditional professional development doesn’t impact the energy that principals bring to campuses each day. In contrast at MILE, we can help leaders increase this synergistic kind of energy.
What moves the needle and truly heightens our energy?
We know what matters and what produces the right levels of energy:
- Emotional intelligence. Good leadership requires high levels of emotional intelligence.
- Going beyond knowledge and information. We’re all saturated with information every day. Yet knowledge is not enough to make lasting changes.
- Community. Community support helps tremendously. Sadly, many principals report feeling isolated.
- Mindset. In education, we promote a growth mindset and encourage the development of grit. In reality, we expect principals to give and model what they have not mastered themselves.
- Personal lives. How we live out our personal lives energetically expands or limits how we live out our professional lives.
- Support and feedback. Highly successful leaders have cheerleaders and tremendous support. A leader’s success is shaped by the quality of the feedback he or she is given.
- Coaching. Traditional professional development doesn’t align with andragogy, the adult learning theories we know lead to learning and change. Sustainable changes are best delivered in masterminding and coaching models, like those we embrace at MiraNous.
A promising solution exists.
We just completed a pilot coaching program with a small cohort of principals from a large district in Houston. And the feedback we received is validating and exciting. Please view the testimonials on the landing page.
Our MILE pilot was a game-changer for principals. We take a holistic approach in helping principals develop, refine, and sharpen themselves to be human instruments of meaningful contribution. We support principals in a way that honors them as professionals and agents in their lives. We foster a space of confidentiality and non-judgment so that principals are not afraid to look deeply within themselves, identify and contend with barriers to success, and begin to function as the best version of themselves. We help principals become the best leaders possible because a principal’s best leadership presence is a powerful intervention.
Want to learn more? Email or call us at 979-739-8299, and we can set up a short informational meeting or call. We would like to learn more about the leadership development vision that you have at your district and how we at MILE can partner with you to help you execute that vision.
Because the program is highly customized to each leader we keep our cohort small. If you are interested please contact us now so you can register if there are open spots or get on the waiting list for the next cohort.
We would love principals from your district to enrich the cohort and to be enriched themselves with the community, development, and support that we provide. At a time when much is being asked of school leaders, this is the perfect program to help principals rise to the occasion.
This link will take you to the landing page for the program: http://bit.ly/MILE2